PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted Would a small bakery be profitable in south Tenerife?

Ahto
05-10-2011, 07:32
would a small bakery be profitable in Tenerife south?

waveydavey
05-10-2011, 07:37
Yes I know of a baker who has since retired who ran a profitable bakers over here.

9PLUS
05-10-2011, 08:14
I know a couple bakers that are still doing OK

The recession and public spending cuts has moved the business from the bakeries over to the bigger supermarkets

Where the product is normally cheaper.

There is a Bakery behind Ofipapel in Los Cristianos which was a double business

A Bakery and Cafeteria in 2 seperate locals, always seemed very busy with people constantly buying stuff to take away

They have just shut the Cafeteria reasons unknown to me

There Bakery still seems to be doing very well and they are still serving drinks.

They seem to have plenty of customers whether that constitutes to profitable i don't know.

anto3
05-10-2011, 14:33
I think you would do well accross from Arona Hotel. .Many people ask me were they would find one in that area

slodgedad
05-10-2011, 15:01
I think you would do well accross from Arona Hotel. .Many people ask me were they would find one in that area

There used to be one there, it's now Ed's Bar, that went bust a couple of years ago.

rosemary
05-10-2011, 15:24

Yes please. BUT pleeeze donīt do so called devon cream scones made with sqeegey nata instead of the real stuff!! And please do really good danish pastries, not the second rate stuff. And please do beautiful beautiful real cream cakes like the Austrians make. Then you will make a fortune. Go to Puerto and have a look at that glorious cream cake restaurant on the seafront with the Spanish wooden interior (name???) where they do great meals too. Their patisserie is to die for.
In other words donīt just mess about and give us the awful old cream buns and doughnuts and bad bread. They are an insult to real bakers.
But hen as everyone knows, I am posh.

canarybird
06-10-2011, 07:48
That would be the Rancho Grande at San Telmo seafront in Puerto that you are referring to, Rosemary.
It's run by the same family that have the place on the corner down in the plaza.

They used to have the most popular place on the Martianez Beach seafront called the Cafe Columbus which was a landmark in Puerto for elegant coffee and cake as well as dining until someone had the idea that it should be torn down because of the Ley de Costas ...the law that causes the tearing down of fishermens' homes, popular beach bars and hotels etc. because they are near the water. The Puerto seafront has never been the same since they took away the Cafe Columbus.

When I was working, we put on fashion shows there. They also had afternoon dancing and served dinners.

But it was mostly popular because of the quality Austrian pastries and cakes they served, made in their own ovens.

The Germans would meet there around 4 pm for their afternoon "Kaffee und Kuchen"...coffee and cake, a custom that's widespread in Germany.

Canarybird

Ahto
06-10-2011, 09:17
thanks for the motivating replys! As this is purely idea level yet then it will take some time to grow. But as soon as the thought gets more serious I will have another post with questions about what kind of products would be mostly accepted!
Thank you all so far

rosemary
06-10-2011, 09:20
Oh Canarybird I didnīt know about that other cafe. What a disaster! Thanks for telling us all that. It sounds so lovely and elegant too. Wish I had known it. You see I think Tenerife could do so much better, it needs more places like that, not less. They attract an international clientele too.

Bring some STYLE to the South - look how popular the Great British Bake Off was on TV? Everyone loved it. Those cakes, mmmmm and the lovely breads...aaah there, Iīm off again.

doreen
06-10-2011, 12:38

Are you just thinking of supplying the public/passing trade ... or also restaurants ? There are already quite a few suppliers of top quality (part cooked) breads for the hotel & restaurant trade, so it would be a hard market to break into.

Belgian/French bakers have done well and have their regulars who will travel miles for decent breads & pastries ... not sure if you are speaking of a more traditional English style, if yes, I would be less optimistic compared to others here.

rosemary
06-10-2011, 15:56
Coincidentally this morning I noticed that the bakers in Los Chris, on the left hand side on the way down to the Church has expanded and brought in some tables and chairs and it is a roaring success, could hardly get inside. But did manage to get 2 coffees and cakes after a few minutes. Delicious. Large choice of lovely big birthday cakes too. They seem to target both German and French and the English markets. Pity it was such small premises.

Malteser Monkey
06-10-2011, 16:36
used to be one in a side street opposite Pueblo Canario - is it still there ??

Ahto
08-10-2011, 06:08
Are you just thinking of supplying the public/passing trade ... or also restaurants ? There are already quite a few suppliers of top quality (part cooked) breads for the hotel & restaurant trade, so it would be a hard market to break into.

Belgian/French bakers have done well and have their regulars who will travel miles for decent breads & pastries ... not sure if you are speaking of a more traditional English style, if yes, I would be less optimistic compared to others here.

Passing trade would be a part of bakery too, but will not provide enaugh income most likely. Acommodation facilities and shops would be target to achieve sustainability.

What kind of pastries would be this forum users interested in? :)

Megaloo
08-10-2011, 13:42
Remember that well Canarybird really wonderful, I have spent many an evening there dancing the night away. ( going back a good few years now)