Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of pickpockets in Las Galletas, Tenerife

Beware of pickpockets in Las Galletas, Tenerife

Hi , my wife and I are fairly new to visiting tenerife but have already become yet another victim of pickpocket crime that has dented our faith in the place. It happened in Las Galletas where we were told that pickpockets and bag snatchers are rife , especially at the bus stops and in the costa del silencio area. Its easy to be wise after the event but wished we had been warned about these places beforehand.
    However we have many friends who also visit Tenerife in February like us now and the bad experience has not put us off and we have already booked for next year.
    Finally , we found the Guardia Civil to be almost next to useless with no back-up information or update, nobody English speaking in a tourist area and officials who write vital information down on torn off bits of paper. I would like to think that our Police deal with foreign visitors with more respect than we got and of course our Police can always provide translators by phone.
    Anyway we now know how to do Tenerife on the cheap, we HAD to. !
    Last edited by davdot; 29-02-2012 at 21:06. Reason: spelling mistakes

North Wales borders
    Firstly, Welcome to Our Forum..

Thats a painful story You tell for a first Post.
    There have been reports on a number of Threads, of robberies at the Airport (arrival) and in the Resorts.
    As there is a high proportion of Holidaymakers this will always be a Place to take special care
    and NEVER carry more than You really need to.

Sorry You were caught, A good look through this Forun will unearth a lot of Crime reports.
    Enjoy Your Next Visit, it will probably be Warmer too.!

Very sorry to hear of this. We visit Galletas often - could you give a few more details as a warning to others?

Bucks
    Thieves take full advantage of people holidaying, as they come with a sense of well-being and they often simply lay themselves open to attack.

Never keep a wallet in the back pocket and, say, waiting at a bus stop, or boarding a bus never leave a rucksack over your back where it is vulnerable. Ladies keep your arm tightly across any handbag (better yet, don't take one out). When in restaurants/bars never leave stuff draped over a chair or out of plain sight, where it could easily be taken. In other words, you're in Tenerife - it's NO DIFFERENT to be anywhere else on the planet. Give a thief an opportunity and they will use it.

As far as the police are concerned, anecdotally, I've heard they tend to lose interest when an English voice is raised. So, use the multilingual serbice.

If your emergency has a police requirement then call the multilingual service on 902 102 112 and once answered say “English please” and you will be connected to an English-speaking operator who will make the initial preparation of the official documentation and then send it to the local police for you to go to the police station to sign and collect your copy, so that you have the official complaint number. Remember to confirm the address of the police station to which the documents are sent.

Glad it hasnt put you off, my husband fell victim to a pick pocket just before Xmas and he goes our every couple of months, it happens everywhere. So far Ive been ok in Tenerife but had my purse stolen 3 times in Birmingham. Hope your next visit is a good one.

Super Tenerifian

warwickshire.
    About 2.15pm today people on the balcony along from my apartment saw a pick pocket just about to lift a man's wallet,they shouted in english "pickpockets" the offenders turned around & walked calmly up the street by hotel Jardin Tropical, San Eugenio.

The man who nearly had his wallet lifted did not understand english & was totaly oblivious to what was happening, he was alerted by other bystanders.
    Please take care, don't take more out with you than you need.
    Last edited by Leam_Lin; 01-03-2012 at 17:22.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
    in costa del silencio the pick pocketers do go for people queueing for a bus and its normally the buses at aroud 10.30 ish as they are very busy buses, the 2 blokes that do it at that time look morrocan and are smartley dressed, they cue up for the crowded bus then lift the wallets or purses then walk away before the tourist realises there have been done, i have seen it done twice, the 1st time i had not realised who was doing it and the 2nd time it was not until the tourist got off the bus with no wallet that i realised who was doing it

Bag stolen

Iwas on Vistas Beach today and a couple on holiday had there bag stolen
    with all there things in, the only left it for a minute, another lady on
    the beach said it happened to her sister last week, she was lying on
    the sun bed with the bag under it and it was stolen,

davdot

Hi , It happened at the bus stop at the harbour at Las Galletas on the way back to Los Cristianos. The buses were all late , five went the other way but none came our way for about 30 minutes, so the bus stop became very crowded. There was the usual mad scramble for the bus and in all the pushing and shoving my wallet was taken from my shorts left leg pocket that had a flap on with two buttons fastening the flap down. They must have been really professional as they tried my cards within 10 minutes in Las Chafiras. I lost about £90 in total as I had just got some cash out. It left us in dire straights with no cards and little cash left in the safe, but our friends rallied round and we managed. Now much wiser after the event. Looking back, I remember being pushed by a Spanish woman in her mid to late twenties, and I realise now that I must have helped her by pushing backwards so that I didnt push an old lady infront of me !
    We are not put off and have already booked the appartment and Monarch flights for Feb 2013 ! !

Golf Del Sur
    There is 3 of them that get around, they wear caps, one of them is a big lad (spanish looking) the other 2 look Morican, the big lad will knock you over to distract you and the other 2 come from behind.

They are always at los cris bus station about 8am and I know thay have been around the Golf del Sur too and Las Americas at night.

There are other too, they tend too budge pass you in the bus que and ask the driver if he going to such and such, then walk off, whilst the others are getting your wallets etc.

DON'T HAVE YOUR WALLET ETC IN LOOSE POCTETS, KEEP THEM IN YOUR HAND AND IF ANYONE LIKE THIS TRIES TO PUSH PAST YOU, MOVE OUT OF THE WAY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast