Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why are there no dog poo bins in Tenerife?

Re: Why are there no dog poo bins in Tenerife?

Yes that was my point, just meant its a shame that the streets are being cleaned but kind of still left dirty if the poo is still there. I agree entitrely that the responsibility lies with the dogs owners..that is if the dogs have one. We actually saw someone just let there dog poo in the street and then just walk off but they were spanish and as "tourists/visitors" felt uneasy about confronting her, especially with the language barrier. My husband frequently hands poo bags to people in the UK who look like they aren't going to clear up ! Maybe dog licences and micro chipping should be made law and obviously need much stricter laws needed full stop with regards to dog ownerships and the responsibilites that come with such a privilage. It is NOT the dogs fault is it !

The problem with this is that enforcing fines would be close to impossible. Most dog owners take their pets out early morning or late evening; who is going to be patrolling the streets at these hours to sanction offenders? (it would require someone authorized to request ID and issue fines). CCTV is not a legal option due to privacy issues.
    A more effective means could be an intensive public awareness campaign, pointing out that such behavior is anti-social, etc etc, hopefully the law abiding public would be so annoyed at seeing an offender that they would shame them in their own communities as dirty slobs.

Good idea, as I see what you mean about enforcing it. Very weird because as a responsible dog owner here in the UK I would not dream of not clearing up. I have gone so far as to picking up other people's dog mess just to keep my neighbour hood a "poo free zone". Education from a early age is needed to as people just need to realise that not clearing up is not an option !!! Maybe just a few noticea on lamposts from residents "We are watching you"...could frighten them into submission !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234