User Tag List

west coast of Tenerife
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Another tragedy in Tenerife - Man dies in suspicious circumstances in Las Americas

OK it's the Daily Mail, not known for accurate reporting, but is this another example of police incompetence in Tenerife?

A stag party reveller has died in mysterious circumstances after his room was ransacked at a Tenerife holiday resort.

Lee Mairs, from Stockport, was found lying on the floor outside his apartment with a head injury in the early hours of the morning.

The 24-year-old had flown out from Manchester Airport with 22 friends for a celebration at Playa de las Americas.

His death, which happened a day after the friends arrived, is apparently being classed as 'suspicious'.

Mr Mairs was taken to hospital on the Canary Island, where the decision was made to switch off his life-support machine.

The electrician was described as 'the nicest lad in the world' by his devastated friends.

He was last seen at Yates's bar and is understood to have headed back to his room at the Hacienda del Sol apartments on his own at about midnight.

About an hour later, another guest found him unconscious on a concrete floor close to some steps. His room had been turned upside down, but nothing appeared to have been taken.

The 24-year-old's father, Darren, 46, has flown out to Tenerife.

Groom-to-be Chris Booth, 29, said: 'After it had happened we asked them to ring the police and they wouldn't. The police did not come until midday.

'We spoke to three other people staying at the hotel who had been robbed that night. The hotel manager tried to say he had fallen from his balcony but he clearly hadn't.

'There was a complete lack of effort or help. It was a living nightmare. They wouldn't listen to us.'

A hotel worker said his death was an accident.

Mr Mairs' brother John, 25, said the way the situation had been dealt with was 'scandalous'.

Fighting back tears, he said his brother carried a donor card and his organs would help others.
    Mystery death: The Hacienda del Sol hotel in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, where Mr Mairs was found injured

Mystery death: The Hacienda del Sol hotel in Playa de las Americas, Tenerife, where Mr Mairs was found injured

He described the former Werneth School pupil, who lived with his parents in Bredbury, as 'the kindest guy you would ever meet' and said the family were desperate for answers.

'We need to know what happened,' he said.

Mr Booth added: 'You would never find anyone with a bad word to say about him. He was always smiling and had the most infectious grin.

'I've known him since we were kids. We grew up together. I've been told not to think like this but Lee's come away for me, it's my stag do and it's happened.'

Most of the group cut the trip short while some stayed to help Mr Mairs' father.

The hen trip for Mr Booth's bride-to-be Amy Brennan, 26, was also abandoned. The couple are planning to hold a tribute to Mr Mairs at their wedding.

A fundraising effort has been set up to help Mr Mairs's family.

A Foreign Office spokesman said: 'We can confirm the death of a British national in Tenerife on July 1 and we are providing consular assistance to the family at this difficult time.'

The hotel could not be reached for comment.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-outside.html
    Last edited by KirstyJay; 03-07-2012 at 21:18.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog....if you can't eat it or play with it, then just pee on it and walk away!

Looking for businesses, places of interest, bars/restaurants and other useful info, click on this link to tenerifeforum map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...71c8d6eef90e7c

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to garlicbread For This Useful Post:

Ann (16-07-2012), blondie (03-07-2012), jazza (03-07-2012), melm (03-07-2012), penelope pitstop (06-07-2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    These ads will disappear once you have REGISTERED and made 10 posts in our friendly community :)

Tenerifian

Bonnie Burns country
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Another tragedy in Tenerife !!

Quote Originally Posted by garlicbread View Post
    OK it's the Daily Mail, not known for accurate reporting, but is this another example of police incompetence in Tenerife?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-outside.html
    Its time this hovel of a place was closed down for everyones safety, people save all year and pay good money and are put in this thieves paradise. It is only weeks since someone asked for advice on this forum and I told them all the bad stories he had read about were true and not to listento anyone who told them different. The thieving taking place is a nightly occurence and all obviously inside jobs yet night after night the police do nothing!!!! Now this poor family will have a lifetime of pain and regret thatthis poor soul ever set foot in this place. The season has barely begun and Trip Advisors reviews are awful

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:

AL JAY (03-07-2012), Arona1 (04-07-2012), celine (06-07-2012), glostergirl (03-07-2012), jack oakley (04-07-2012), Parker (03-07-2012), penelope pitstop (06-07-2012), seanocelt (05-07-2012), slodgedad (03-07-2012), tonypub (03-07-2012), warbey (03-07-2012)

Costa Del Everton
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,945 Times in 2,590 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Another tragedy in Tenerife - Man dies in suspicious circumstances in Las America

I also remember that thread, I advised him to rent an apartment! I wouldn't stay there "rent free" Surely something can be done about it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AL JAY For This Useful Post:

blondie (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Another tragedy in Tenerife - Man dies in suspicious circumstances in Las America

I stayed in this place many years ago and was almost gassed to death.
    It was a struggle to convince both the rep and management that I wasn't
    prepared to remain in the apartment and they had better move me.
    I was very lucky.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to desb For This Useful Post:

blondie (04-07-2012), penelope pitstop (06-07-2012), seanocelt (05-07-2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid it is true and the report is accurate. I know some of the people who went away when the tragedy happened. People are putting reviews on Trip Advisor and Holiday Watchdog warning others not to stay there but they keep getting removed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lisar7238 For This Useful Post:

blondie (06-07-2012), penelope pitstop (06-07-2012)

west coast of Tenerife
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lisar7238 View Post
    I'm afraid it is true and the report is accurate. I know some of the people who went away when the tragedy happened. People are putting reviews on Trip Advisor and Holiday Watchdog warning others not to stay there but they keep getting removed.
    persuade these people to join TenerifeForum and post their reports on here
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog....if you can't eat it or play with it, then just pee on it and walk away!

Looking for businesses, places of interest, bars/restaurants and other useful info, click on this link to tenerifeforum map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...71c8d6eef90e7c

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garlicbread For This Useful Post:

blondie (06-07-2012), penelope pitstop (06-07-2012)