Thread: What customs fees should I expect when ordering from the USA?

Talking What customs fees should I expect when ordering from the USA?

Hi, I spend 7 months in Tenerife' and would like to order products from the US. I am wondering what the deal is with customs and other fees? In Sweden I can purchase for a certain amount before I have to pay customs. I may have to pay a small tax and other small fee but that is all. If anyone knows can you please let me know or let me know who I can ask via e-mail. Tx

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Re: What customs fees should I expect when ordering from the USA?

it hard to said how much they charge from america . but i know anything over 100 dollars custom will charge.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

it hard to said how much they charge from america . but i know anything over 100 dollars custom will charge.

Who are you using? DHL or similar? Are you planning on collecting yourself from the port?

It all makes a difference.

I had planned to just have it shipped by the post office. It is the least expensive shipping from the company that I order from. I am ordering food supplement, shampoos etc.

Depending on quantity ask the sender to mark goods as personal effects and you should be ok.

Small amounts is alright it's larger amounts that you will have to start declaring value of goods and paying a 5% (approx) tax on the total value.
    This is done by a personal declaration by you if the goods are used or a bill of sale if they are new.

The Canaries is subject to a different tax to mainland and companies like DHL impose a handling charge that is unique to Canarian DHL it is an extra charge, incontestable and never quoted in advance. You pay it on delivery along with your importation tax.

If you need any extra help I'll be happy to share my experiences and tips
    Last edited by carpenter; 11-08-2012 at 14:49.

Hi again,
    I plan to only import products from an internet store that sells food supplements, shampoos etc. So it would be difficult to say that it is used articles. Last year I bought enough to take with me in my suitcase but hoped I would not have to do that this time but it may be the best way. In Sweden I can buy for anywhere like 150-180 dollars depending on the exchange rate. I have to pay customs on the shipping cost as well if it goes over the amount that they specify. Then there is a small tax and maybe a handling fee but it only comes to about 30 dollars or less. Well that is not all that little either so I wonder which is better? What do you think? Thanks very much.