Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Can I afford to retire to Tenerife on a basic UK state pension of £131 flat paid for?

Re: Can I afford to retire to Tenerife on a basic UK state pension of £131 flat paid

Rent on a long let for winter. We do that. the only REAL expense we have is travel insurance,
    being young pensioners (and healthy) don't think we'd go with just he NHIC
    good luck!

La Palma

Re: Can I afford to retire to Tenerife on a basic UK state pension of £131 flat paid

I think treboreel should try a long winter let as well. (Is he still reading this, btw?). But I did want to make the point that his income will vary month by month once he has converted it into Euros. Be interesting to hear how he gets on.

Super Tenerifian

South Tenerife

Hi and welcome,
    You can definitely manage your day to day expenses if you know how to be a bit frugal...and yes, Tenerife is definitely much cheaper than the UK. If you buy a studio in a Spanish block (as opposed to a fancy tourist complex) your community fees can be as little as 25-30 eu.
    You dont necessarily need phone/internet connection at home, as you can use the local libraries and very cheap internet cafes in Tenerife (0.7-1 Eu/hr) as long as you are not an internet addict! I know many people who have a cheap simcard and manage their life with emails and mobiles effectively.
    Public transport is fairly reliable even though not as timely as UK bus services. I know a few pensioners who own their flat and live on as little as 400-500 euros a month.
    There are lots of very cheap repossessed properties that the banks are selling for unbelievably cheap, and if you do your market research right, and speak a bit of Spanish, you can buy yourself a decent studio/one bedroom for 45,000-65,000 eu. My only advice is not to throw your money away carelessly for an overpriced property and keep something for the rainy days. I can send you links to bank repossessions once you are well settled here.
    Good luck anyway
    Last edited by languagefan; 22-10-2012 at 13:43.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345