Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone want to go hiking in Barranco del Infierno on 19th December 2012?

Super Tenerifian

South Tenerife

Re: Does anyone want to go hiking in Barranco del Infierno on 19th December 2012?

Thanks for all feedback. I was there a few days ago and there was no sign to suggest it was closed and I saw many other people walking. I however withdraw my earlier invite as advised by fellow members. thanks.

Super Tenerifian

Lancaster, England

Re: Does anyone want to go hiking in Barranco del Infierno on 19th December 2012?

Aw, languagefan, I'm sorry you've been discouraged. Have a great trip anyway! I'd love to join you if I was in Tenerife at the moment.

The walk is only closed to avoid legal risk for the Ayuntiamento. It's not closed for the safety or benefit of the people. It's not as if the authorities closed it off before the landslide, and there's not much point closing it off afterwards.

Anywhere in Tenerife where there is steep ground, there is some risk of landslides, particularly in or just after adverse weather (heavy rain, strong winds, etc). It's a risk I'm happy to take based on my own evalutation of the environment, not based on some knee-jerk exercise of power after the authorities failed to ensure safety.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12