I've been through all the posts and threads in the banks/finance section of the forum, and there's some excellent help and information from members, particularly for residents. It's clear that some people are being charged for everything by their local Spanish bank, while others have paid nothing at all in years (several Santander mentions).

But I've found nothing specifically related to NON-residents bank account charges. If anyone has experience or can help with recommendations on how to keep non-resident bank charges to a minimum, your help would be gratefully received.

I have read elsewhere that, historically, you could sometimes negotiate charges with banks when you set up a new account - can anyone confirm or deny this?

And finally, has anyone tried or looked into having a CitiBank Euro account based in Madrid? Is it possible - and easy enough - to pay all regular bills, especially through internet banking, to Canary Islands organisations (like for water, electricity, etc.) from a Spanish mainland-based bank like CitiBank?

Many thanks in advance if you can help.