For years we have been passing the big sign seen from the motorway on top of a building in Guaza so we gave this less advertised place a visit and were glad that we did.
The road up from the Guaza roundabout towards Valle San Lorenzo has another clear signpost to the right. The road narrows considerably but when you arrive at Aloe Park there is a large parking space on the left of the main pathway. To the right of the pathway there is a cafe in a pleasantly planted area and the ticket office. We paid the entrance which was about 10 euros each and were given the usual honey rum welcome drink.
We didn't realise that we were supposed to join a tour until we arrived and the tour had started about 20 mionutes before. Wsort of stood there and nothing was explained while some other people paid. Then a more authoritative lady stepped forward and took us on a very long walk to a bar where the on-time tourists were pausing to buy a beer etc. We were told that at the end of the tour we could do the first part of the next to catch up and then leave.
We picked up lots of information about bananas and how they grow. It was astonishing to find out about the fact that neither England nor Belgium can import Canarian bananas because they are too short! The bananas we have in the Uk are puffed out with water so not as tasty, even if longer.
We had a great lesson with a model to indicate how water is produced and used in the Canary Islands. We also learnt what each island is famous for producing. Either El Hierro or La Gomera produces palm honey which, as its name suggests, has nothing to do with honey bees.
I shouldn't give too much away but the gardens have some interesting plants and there are small animals.
The guide was absolutely brilliant, enthusiastic and engaging and he speaks several languages fluently. His English was amazing and his knowledge impeccable.
The visit ends in the shop with a video about the manufacture of aloe vera and of course the products at a price....But I will say that they would be a good investment. A friend left an Aftersun in our apartment. I thought it was safe when I saw the word 'Aloe' but it wasn't the real product and I was allergic. So it would be better to have the real thing. I use tubs of it all the time in Tenerife. Great stuff.
The first part of our holiday the weather was not great and that day of our visit to the Park it was superb. Hubby wanted to get down to the sea so when the tour finished he did not want to do the first part. It was a pity because that was probably about the aloe plant.
Nevertheless we did get a lot of interesting information and enjoyed the tour so would recommend it for a dullish day but not for young children. They will be bored as there is a lot of listening involved.