Thread: How do Amazon.es or Ebay.es make deliveries in Tenerife?

How do Amazon.es or Ebay.es make deliveries in Tenerife?

Ive been wanting to order some bits from amazon & ebay, but i only have normal size letterbox & live on complex. Ive also heard there maybe duty to be paid on delivery.
    Does postman knock the door with his hand out for vat payment and the goods. Or does he post a note saying there is something waiting at post office for you.
    Any advice on whether this is a simple process greatly appreciated.
    Also wondered whether ordering from ebay uk is a similar scenario. Thanks in advance

El Medano

Re: does anyone know the crack re amazon.es or ebay.es deliveries

1.Big expensive items bought via a commercial enterprise are normally shipped to you via courier..and these always go through customs. The customs office will normally contact you via the supplied email address or phone number you gave when purchasing..

2.Items bought off of ebay private sellers, often are sent using the cheapest postage available, and since many people in the uk do not realize that Tenerife is outside of europe for tax reasons do not correctly declare any value. Without a value and sent via royal mail cheapo service, the customs do not often bother to investigate to get the tax..It is assumed to be private mail i suppose and not commercial in nature. But on one occasion they rang me up and asked for a copy of a PayPal invoice when they were not sure.( rare) Tax is charged on the whole amount, postage and packing which seems like theft to me but that's how its done everywhere. If on arrival you are not in, the postie will leave you a note saying collect the next day from local post office. Most if not all parcels of any value are sign on delivery anyway.

3. Never Buy from the mainland...seems daft but a bolt bought in a Madrid online store will have very expensive post, and as the spanish know its going to the canaries the customs nab it every time...very annoying when you buy a component for 15 euros and pay 20 euros post cause you want in now, Customs will apply igic at 5% plus something like 12 euros for the customs paper work. If on the other hand you buy the same bolt from the US, you will find that for values under 30 odd dollars, i think , no one bothers.

4.Amazon , again if its the odd CD under 30 dollars or so , no tax is collected-

I recently renewed my wardrobe with some very questionable Polo shirts off of Aliexpress in china. ( Don´t ask) Since you pay a total of say 15 dollars a shirt its too low for customs to nab. All 6 shirts arrived after 4 weeks, no tax was due on any .

Chinese sellers will sell you anything and are quite willing to falsify the customs paperwork. only ever declaring the value at 10 dollars so those go sailing through without problems.

Only thing i have bought recently from the mainland was a tyre for a scooter. 129 euros here....34 euros in Valencia, knowing full well that customs would add on igic and admin fee but sometimes its worth it other times not so..
    Looking for a skipper? Crew? an Admin person, a Spanish speaker? Electronics technician? Driver? Radio Ham? Web page ? gimme a PM i'm up for anything. Cheers!

Re: does anyone know the crack re amazon.es or ebay.es deliveries

Thanks Medanoman,
    Will deffo give some thought before buying any thing off the island, unless its questionable clothing. LOL

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks Medanoman,
    Will deffo give some thought before buying any thing off the island, unless its questionable clothing. LOL

El Medano

Re: How do Amazon.es or Ebay.es make deliveries in Tenerife?

Yes, quite right...never ever buy anything that gets sent federal express , or DHL or any other courier firm ( if you are worried about the tax) . IT Will GET STOPPED , and you will pay tax for the privilege of using a faster, more expensive service. Customs just make it more expensive by making you pay tax on the shipping cost plus product cost.

Seems totally unfair to pay tax on the shipping, Which is not a tangible item..but thats the way it is.

Items sent China Post, HongKong post etc take a good 3 or 4 weeks to get here, but then again the service is cheap , and tax free.
    Last edited by Medanoman; 22-05-2013 at 13:45.
    Looking for a skipper? Crew? an Admin person, a Spanish speaker? Electronics technician? Driver? Radio Ham? Web page ? gimme a PM i'm up for anything. Cheers!

I bought a book from Amazon a few months back. Very cheap and didn't have to pay any custom charges on it. A slip was left in my letter box and I collected it from our local "correos". The only problem I did have was that it took almost 3 weeks to arrive

I think that Medoman has very succinctly dealt with the O/p,s questions and I certainly could not contradict anything. One thing I must implore and that is to take the very cheapest options for delivery/post and do not go for a "courier" type of delivery under any circumstances. In the last 2/3 years we have used the services of Amazon and to a much lesser extent eBay. Now, again, I must reiterate the absolute necessity of using the cheapest postage, the longest delivery times etc to avoid any duplicate taxation or an unreasonable burder of taxation. Now we should all be aware of the old addage to the effect that there are only 2 certainties in life and that is one you,ll die and the other is that you will pay tax no matter whee you are!