User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice to other members on how to stay safe in Tenerife.

Toto 99's Favourite Malteser Monkey's Avatar

Wales
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Advice to other members on how to stay safe in Tenerife.

Quote Originally Posted by primrose View Post
    In most places you do need a Passport or a Spanish driving license,and now they have brught in a new law that you have to show your Passport at a Chemist or Doctors.
    I thought YG said a nice member

thanks interesting bout the docs and farmacia !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Malteser Monkey For This Useful Post:

primrose (09-07-2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    These ads will disappear once you have REGISTERED and made 10 posts in our friendly community :)

Puerto de la Cruz
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,422 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can easily take your passport to a notary public and have it copied and the copy notarized.
    Then keep your passport in the safe and use the notarized copy when you have to present a passport for medications or to verify a credit card .

A notarized copy is accepted just like an original document and it can be folded up in your pocket or handbag. It doesn't cost much at the notary either.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Another thing I do when going on a long trip is scan passport, tickets, credit cards (front and back) and take photos of all baggage and handbags, print them all out and carry them with me in a safe place, as well as emailing the scans to myself. Also important is to keep the phone number of where you have to call to cancel a lost or stolen credit card.

Once I had a bag which didn't arrive with me on my plane and it did help that I could provide a colour photograph of the missing piece to the baggage reclaim on my arrival at destination.
    Last edited by mike in chayofa; 10-07-2013 at 16:12.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to canarybird For This Useful Post:

chifleta (09-07-2013), doreen (10-07-2013), Jumpinjax (09-07-2013), Leam_Lin (09-07-2013), Megaloo (09-07-2013), primrose (09-07-2013), rosemary (17-07-2013), warbey (09-07-2013), YOUNG GOLFER (09-07-2013)

Super Tenerifian

Tenerife
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In most places you do need a Passport or a Spanish driving license,and now they have brught in a new law that you have to show your Passport at a Chemist or Doctors.

Do you know when this new law was implemented as I have never been asked for ID at the chemist or doctors ( last visit to chemist last Friday and Doctors late last month).
    perhaps this law, if it exists , relates to tourists .....rather than residents. Many tourists buy medication here over the counter that is not available in Uk without prescription.

Toto 99's Favourite Malteser Monkey's Avatar

Wales
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,719 Times in 8,794 Posts
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canarybird View Post
    You can easily take your passport to a notary public and have it copied and the copy notarized.
    Then keep your passport in the safe and use the notarized copy when you have to present a passport for medications or to verify a credit card.

A notarized copy is accepted just like an original document and it can be folded up in your pocket or handbag. It doesn't cost much at the notary either.

Another thing I do when going on a long trip is scan passport, tickets, credit cards (front and back) and take photos of all baggage and handbags, print them all out and carry them with me in a safe place, as well as emailing the scans to myself. Also important is to keep the phone number of where you have to call to cancel a lost or stolen credit card.

Once I had a bag which didn't arrive with me on my plane and it did help that I could provide a colour photograph of the missing piece to the baggage reclaim on my arrival at destination.

you would certainly need a holiday after all that CB

Tenerife
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,183 Posts
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Malteser Monkey View Post
    "Our"

Yes a passport is for life not just for holidays

YG why would you..... actually how do you put your passort in a toaster (unless under the influence of alcohol)

I don't have a toaster does it apply to the grill too ?

Question - not having been over for a while do you still need a passport to hand when paying with plastic coz that was a pain having to carry it around

I think just carryinng as little as possible in general that way you have nothing to nick. Ladies small cluth like bags rather than massive strppy ones that can easily be snatched...perhaps

this could be a good thread
    I only take my original passport around with me if i'm going to the lovely government offices (INEM or social .... ) where I have to have the original... I know they say you should carry it around with you always, but I don't. I have a plastificated reduced copy of my passport and my NIE A4 sheet too, fit into my purse nicely. I still haven't got round to getting an official stamped "copy" of it done though.

Quote Originally Posted by casabonny View Post
    Do you know when this new law was implemented as I have never been asked for ID at the chemist or doctors ( last visit to chemist last Friday and Doctors late last month).
    perhaps this law, if it exists , relates to tourists .....rather than residents. Many tourists buy medication here over the counter that is not available in Uk without prescription.
    I was wondering the same, but thought maybe it's because our local chemists know us now?! as I've never had to provide passport, just had to show them my medical (seguridad social) card!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chifleta For This Useful Post:

Malteser Monkey (09-07-2013)

Puerto de la Cruz
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 680 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my question was serious - do you still need to carry a passport with plastic ?

(I give up trying to be serious I just get ignored)
    Hi I sometimes pay with a debit card in Alcampo and Lidl they ask to see identification but not in Mercadonna

I have just come back from the Chemist went to get my OH prescription but was not asked for passport.?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Megaloo For This Useful Post:

harbern (12-07-2013), Malteser Monkey (09-07-2013)

Super Tenerifian MindReader Champion Fill Up The Boy Champion Crazy Chess Champion Pretty Pretty Bang Bang Champion Pluck My Tash Champion Dots Champion Checkers Champion Mazed & Confused Champion Toss The Sausage Champion Matchsticks Champion Bubble Spinner Champion Flip Out Champion Yahtzee Champion Just Not Cricket Champion Bowling Champion Triathlon Champion Ten Pin Bowling Champion DodgeBall Champion Field Goal FootBall Champion Galactic Gravity Golf Champion Tennis Challenge Champion Word Cup 2006 Penalty Champion Cricket Challenge Champion Dangerous Fishing Champion Olympic Discus Throw Champion Goal Keeper Champion Cat Bowling Champion Zidane - Head Butt Game Champion primrose's Avatar

Thanks
    Thanked 3,919 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time I went to Karen Whittakers there was a notice in the window saying there was a new law that you need a Passport to see the Doctor and get medication from the Chemist, while I was waiting to see Karen the people that were coming in were asked for their Passport and a couple that had no Passport were turned away. Sorry that's all I know.The next time I am down there I will look to see if the notice is still there.It wasn't just Tourists that had to show their Passports.
    Last edited by primrose; 09-07-2013 at 16:04.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to primrose For This Useful Post:

celine (09-07-2013), Megaloo (09-07-2013), YOUNG GOLFER (09-07-2013)

Super Tenerifian tracy hampshire's Avatar

icod de los vinos
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i go to the rastros every week,a hot bed of pickpockets, always go dressed in my oldest clothes, my trainers are so old a stall holder offered me a discount on a second hand pair, felt sorry for me, but i never have any problem with pickpockets, in fact they would probably drop me a bob or two

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tracy hampshire For This Useful Post:

Bhamannette (11-07-2013), celine (09-07-2013), Leam_Lin (09-07-2013), Malteser Monkey (10-07-2013), Megaloo (09-07-2013), rosemary (17-07-2013), warbey (09-07-2013), YOUNG GOLFER (09-07-2013)

Super Tenerifian Base Jumping Champion marbro8's Avatar

walsall
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,011 Times in 4,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    408 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Our"

Yes a passport is for life not just for holidays

YG why would you..... actually how do you put your passort in a toaster (unless under the influence of alcohol)

I don't have a toaster does it apply to the grill too ?

Question - not having been over for a while do you still need a passport to hand when paying with plastic coz that was a pain having to carry it around

I think just carryinng as little as possible in general that way you have nothing to nick. Ladies small cluth like bags rather than massive strppy ones that can easily be snatched...perhaps

this could be a good thread
    in reply mm i frequently hide my passport in the toaster if there isn't a safe at hand because i thought that would be the last place they would look for it, but if stuart knows about it then i would think everyone does

on the theme of staying safe or in this instance being careful, when you go out spread your money about, we know that if we go to margaritas we will need about €60 for a good night, so i put €10 in 3 pockets and so does my wife,that way if the thieving scum bags do pick your pocket they will only get €10, also i know it is hard for you lady's but try not to carry a bag with you, it is like a red rag to a bull to them, i always carry what we need for the night, keys lipstick, and even woman's things if need be, my pockets are full and uncomfy sometimes but it's worth it not to be targeted,also try to walk with other couples or where there are a lot of other holidaymakers, keep away from dimly lit places and wasteland where it is easy for them to hide,don't be fooled by someone you don't know being over friendly and wanting to shake your hand, it is a ploy to pick your pocket, also people asking you to show them where to go on a map, i know it's a lot to take in but like young golfer says all people want is for everyone to be safe, and if we can help by posting helpful tips then all the better

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marbro8 For This Useful Post:

celine (09-07-2013), doreen (10-07-2013), Jumpinjax (10-07-2013), Leam_Lin (09-07-2013), woolli (10-07-2013), YOUNG GOLFER (09-07-2013)

Super Tenerifian

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally speaking I doubt anyone is at much risk during the day in Los Cris.

However if going out at night I tend to leave everything at home including my wallet and only take enough cash to pay for meal and drink etc.

As from now, after being dipped outside Paradise Park after walking home alone, I will now ALWAYS take a taxi ride.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peterrayner For This Useful Post:

celine (09-07-2013), Jumpinjax (10-07-2013), YOUNG GOLFER (09-07-2013)

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast