Thread: Looking to work and live in Tenerife

Looking to work and live in Tenerife

Hello

my name is cameron im 19 and i want to move to tenerife, im trying to find a job that would include accomodation or help me with any accomodation as i dont have anywhere to live there! if anyone has any vacancys and could help me with accomodation i would be very happy, im a hard worker and willing to do anything in limit.

Amarilla Golf & Cheshire

Re: Looking to work and live in Tenerife

Cameron, do you live in the UK? One of our son's best friends is called Cameron, so I thought of him when I read this. I'll reply as helpfully as I can, as if you were one of our son's friends - he is 20.

You will have gathered from the lack of replies to your post, that there's not much available work wise for people your age ( or any age really ). The most likely thing you'll pick up is PR ing outside a bar/club/restaurant. You'll earn 5€ an hour at best, you'll have no job security, probably struggle to pay your rent, work loads of unsocial hours and have a job where people will try to avoid you like the plague.

The best thing you can do at your age is stay in the UK, get some decent training and a job, and enjoy your legal paid 5.6 weeks holidays per year partying it up in Tenerife.

Our son's friend, your namesake, works shifts as a hospital porter in a big Manchester hospital. He has lots of free time, paid holidays, good conditions, job security, employment rights, drives his own Audi A3and takes home £1600 per month. He can go on holidays abroad with plenty of spending money and have a fabulous time.

If he asked me if he should chuck it all in, to go and try living in Tenerife, what do you think I would say to him?
    Enjoying the best of both worlds

£1600 take home a month is approx gross £25000 a year.

Hospital Porter's earn normally minimum wage so more likely £1000 a month take home evening with working shifts.

Amarilla Golf & Cheshire

Nope. He works a lot of nights and gets £12 an hour for them.
    Enjoying the best of both worlds

Garafia, La Palma

Hi Cameron,
    How about trying to get a job in a hotel with accommodation included.
    My dearest wish at 18 years old was to leave home - that was quite a lot of years ago by the way so I have to admit that I don't have recent relevant experience.
    But like you, to move, I needed two things - a job and accommodation. I solved both at one stroke by working in the hotel industry where I worked my way up to assistant manager.
    I know things have probably changed since then! But only yesterday, I was talking to someone who has a job as a rep in Lanzarote and she 'lives in' so there are opportunities still about.
    If this is the right thing for you, then try and get in with a big hotel group. That way you can move around the world if you get itchy feet, and yet still work for the same company.