Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will all the shops be closed in Tenerife for the Assumption Day bank holiday on Friday?

Re: Assumption Day - Closed shop?

A quick update -
    Back home in good old England.
    Thanks all for your time and replies. It almost became a moot point as despite trying the Priority Bag Collection option from Thomas Cook, my case did indeed come onto the reclaim belt in the first batch but my wife’s was in the last. Then on to the Autoreisen desk and then the car pick-up. The Seat Altea I’d been allocated (as requested) was loaded, baggage trolley parked and ready to go but as I’m a bit OCD I plugged my TomTom enabled PDA into the 12v socket and…dead. Back to the pick-up area office then and a few minutes later a mechanic arrived who checked all the fuses (in car and under bonnet) to no avail so took me to the office where my car was swapped for a Citroen Xsara Picasso. Baggage trolley retrieved and loaded it was off down the line to load the Picasso. I thought I’d better check the power socket and…dead! Back to the office where…yep, the same mechanic was summoned. When he returned, we both walked down the line and chatted (well, as best I could with my lack of Spanish) about the vagaries of cars and the chances of “lightening” striking twice. Same procedure, but this time he found the offending blown fuse and replaced it, so I loaded the bags and set off for LG. Although we landed at around a quarter-to-five it was now about half-past-six but still swung by Trebol (closed), Lidl (closed) and so resigned ourselves to getting up early(ish) to nip down for the basics. Two surprises then followed – the supermarket near San Francisco (and more we later learned) is not now Transito but HiperDino and it was open!
    Appetitus Giganticus

Re: Will all the shops be closed in Tenerife for the Assumption Day bank holiday on F

A bit off topic, but worth a pop.

What are the Catholics assuming on Assumption day?

Man trying to explain inflation to wife:
    Look, when I married you, you were 34-26-34. You are now 40-40-40.
    Although there is more of you, you are not worth as much.

Re: Will all the shops be closed in Tenerife for the Assumption Day bank holiday on F

Well, here we are again, one year on and in a similar position.
    TC in their wisdom/due to scheduling, have moved their flights forward an hour, out and back, which means that the shops will be closed when we return, but more importantly, there will be little or no time for the quick Friday shop.
    For the “big shop” we usually go to back up to Trebol from LG and then call into Lidl round the corner before coming back. We’ve now got a local Lidl but, based on last years’ experience, as Assumption Day is on Saturday, we’ll be struggling. Hopefully (again based on last years’ data) HiperDino will be open to keep us going through to Mondays big shop.
    Appetitus Giganticus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12