User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tenerife Forum 'Crime Watch' thread - post about possible rip offs here

West Country UK
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tenerife Forum 'Crime Watch' thread - post about possible rip offs here

Taxi LM 50. Black guy with an African accent driving it. Beware as he tries to double the meter .... We bailed out and took a taxi driven by a Spanish guy and he was great.

Caveat emptor

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

imablue (27-12-2014), lynno52 (27-12-2014), manxie1954 (23-01-2015), martincrabb99 (28-12-2014), Tony the Welder (01-01-2015), white Knight (29-03-2015)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    These ads will disappear once you have REGISTERED and made 10 posts in our friendly community :)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,805 Times in 1,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Crime Watch

Some "no marks" out there this time of year,be very wary of what you may see on the meter before the journey starts..
    ah.. fiesta stick €3 on the meter then charge the norm on top ..
    Christmas ? fiesta ?.. collared a fella christmas night and told him what to do with "His" extra €3 ...

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imablue For This Useful Post:

essexeddie (30-12-2014), Jeff (28-12-2014), lynno52 (28-12-2014), marbro8 (29-12-2014), martincrabb99 (28-12-2014), Tony the Welder (01-01-2015), white Knight (29-03-2015)

Tenerife South
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Tenerife Forum 'Crime Watch' thread - post about possible rip offs here

I got in a Taxi from Fanabe to Gran Sur solely for the purpose of not wanting to cross the junction so it should have come to €3.15. The Driver kept pressing a button on the meter and when held the fare read €5 odd but the clown had difficulty in holding the button down so it flickered back and forth from said fares although I knew anyway. I explained I would have tipped but for trying to scam me I'll give you the exact fare which I had.

However, in my seated position I was having enormous difficulty in retrieving the last 5 cents from my jeans pocket, but the Driver was adamant in waiting for this last 5 cents. I had thought having the vast majority of the correct fare coupled with the knowledge of being "found out" he might let it go but I was wrong. So I decided to make an ordeal and waste his time as long as safely possible.

Perhaps there's no moral to the story, and in my experience of late this type of conduct in Tenerife is a rarity, but it can and does happen so it always pays to be vigilant.

Be Safe.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Shamey For This Useful Post:

chifleta (23-01-2015), Ecky Thump (29-12-2014), essexeddie (30-12-2014), imablue (29-12-2014), Leam_Lin (30-12-2014), lynno52 (30-12-2014), marbro8 (29-12-2014), Tony the Welder (01-01-2015), white Knight (29-03-2015)

West Country UK
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crime Time in Costa Silencio.

At present a pair of Hungarian/Romanian pickpockets are operating from the bus stops on the 467 line usually around CC Coral. Their MO is as the bus arrives. One of them pushes into the crowd aggressively to ask the bus driver about going to the Airport. As he does so, he dips the pocket of his target and hands off the wallet to his accomplice nearby.

Several times they have been seen coming out of the lobby of the Marino Tenerife.

I have spoken to someone at the lobby there about installing land mines and machineguns but I don't think they paid any mind...

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

chifleta (23-01-2015), Chine (01-02-2015), lastperfectman (18-04-2016), lynno52 (23-01-2015), martincrabb99 (25-01-2015), white Knight (29-03-2015)

Super Tenerifian

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Goodwill shop in Los Cristianos has seen on Rip Off Britain last week. Debit card scams

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to golazzo For This Useful Post:

3pebbles (14-01-2016), Chine (01-02-2015), white Knight (29-03-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, just a very basic (and hopefully needless) warning. Please make sure your car stays locked when driving anywhere in Spain.
    Quite a few kids on the street (Rumanian mainly) try to get you to open doors/windows, particularly at junctions/traffic lights and grab whatever they can from your car. They works in teams with the other ones creeping up on the other side of the car and hope you hit the wrong button and open other windows/doors apart from the drivers! I've even seen them launch themselves halfway into cars especially when the back windows are open and they'll take absolutely anything.
    Play safe.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3pebbles For This Useful Post:

Leam_Lin (14-01-2016), tfs1 (14-01-2016)

Super Tenerifian

Midlands and GDS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A woman on a mobility scooter who visits our complex regularly turned up yesterday quite shaken , she had been to Chinatown in chafiras and was on her way back down to GDS and was by the garden centre when a man stepped out in front of her and tried to flag her down, she was cautious but slowed down as he got alongside he made a grab for her belongings, she wrestled with him and then 3 other men and a woman appeared (one of which she recognised as being in the Chinatown shop)who were with the man all Eastern Europeans and tried to tip her off her scooter, luckily a man came from the garden centre running and screaming and they let her go and ran, also another burglary on our complex this week .

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chine For This Useful Post:

blondie (Yesterday), lynno52 (Yesterday)

Ashford, Kent
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chine View Post
    A woman on a mobility scooter who visits our complex regularly turned up yesterday quite shaken , she had been to Chinatown in chafiras and was on her way back down to GDS and was by the garden centre when a man stepped out in front of her and tried to flag her down, she was cautious but slowed down as he got alongside he made a grab for her belongings, she wrestled with him and then 3 other men and a woman appeared (one of which she recognised as being in the Chinatown shop)who were with the man all Eastern Europeans and tried to tip her off her scooter, luckily a man came from the garden centre running and screaming and they let her go and ran, also another burglary on our complex this week .
    Can i ask what complex you are on? I really love the GDS and it's sad to hear that this is going on.

Super Tenerifian

Midlands and GDS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie Maggot View Post
    Can i ask what complex you are on? I really love the GDS and it's sad to hear that this is going on.
    Hiya we are on The Palms but there are also lots of burglaries elsewhere on the golf and Amarilla , as they say the police are looking into it but there is very little police presence here apart from traffic stops to con tourist motorists out of €200, it's a lovely place but like anywhere crime is a bit high at times

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chine For This Useful Post:

blondie (Yesterday)

Ashford, Kent
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chine View Post
    Hiya we are on The Palms but there are also lots of burglaries elsewhere on the golf and Amarilla , as they say the police are looking into it but there is very little police presence here apart from traffic stops to con tourist motorists out of €200, it's a lovely place but like anywhere crime is a bit high at times
    That's sad to hear. Has it reached a point where you would consider moving out? I only ask because I've grown to like the GDS when we have visited on holiday and I am looking at coming back with a view to look at properties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast