Thread: How good is the internet in Tenerife for online business?

How good is the internet in Tenerife for online business?

Hi,

I am looking to move to Tenerife as I work as an online contractor in the UK. I am looking for better quality of life, hence the move, however, my concern is how good is the internet in Tenerife, especially for someone using it for their business and communications.

My partner is looking at work in in the Puerto del a Cruz area , but as someone who is dependent on the internet for downloading and uploading data and conducting skype meetings, I am concerned that the current infrastructure would not be support my business needs.

I am also concerned that if I rent a property I maybe unable to access a decent level of internet in the area or even be allowed to have this installed by the property owner. I also looked at the option of accessing a serviced office but the area I am looking at is more focused on tourists; so as you can see I am having trouble trying to make my mind up what to do.

However, as I have only gleaned my current perceptions from reading various internet sources I maybe talking rubbish so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice they could give to help guide my opinion or decision.

Thank you

GC

Super Tenerifian

Lancaster, England

Re: Internet in Tenerife for Online Business

The island of Tenerife has very high speed internet, due to the needs of the research station at Izana. And the fastest internet that I have encountered anywhere in the world was (of all places!) at the Hotel Marte in Puerto de la Cruz. So it's certainly possible.

Having said that, the available speed varies greatly from suburb to suburb, and even from house to house within a suburb. If your business depends on fast internet, you absolutely need to verify its quality at the specific individual premises before you rent or buy.

Re: How good is the internet in Tenerife for online business?

Hi Glyn,

You definetly can find reliable internet on Tenerife, both north and south, as well as stanionary and mobile) good luck