Thread: Living in Tenerife with cats and dogs

Living in Tenerife with cats and dogs

Hello!

I'm thinking about moving to Tenerife, with 4 cats and 2 dogs (1 chihuahua, 1 border collie). They already have the proper travel documentation etc.

I've got a load of questions about having pets in Tenerife, and would be grateful for any and all info! :-)

1) Is it true that dogs cannot be let off-leash anywhere at all, or are there special places where it is allowed (e.g. dog parks, or away from the coast in the countryside...)?
    2) Are dogs allowed to play on the beach and swim in the sea anywhere in Tenerife?
    3) I read somewhere that technically speaking cats cannot go around off-leash, which sounds a bit mad. :-) Is it actually legal/safe to allow cats out and about?
    4) I read that on some complexes loose animals like cats may get poisoned. Is this common or exceedingly rare?
    5) My dogs aren't very 'barky' (the collie is silent, the chihuahua yaps a little but not too much) but if you rent an apartment on a complex and another resident complains, can you get evicted?

There are probably some other questions I should be asking, but I don't know what they are yet! If you can think of extra information I could do with knowing, please tell me! :-)

Many thanks in advance!!!

Re: Living in Tenerife with cats and dogs

Hello, there are places where you can let your dogs of the lead, in the towns it is safer to keep them on leads and I have been told that it's against the law not to have them on leads but there are many people that ignore this. As for beaches there are notices up that say no dogs but again I have been to El Medano and seen dogs on the beach and on other beaches too. Cats have a mind of there own, can't stop them wandering, there has been cats poisoned on complexes and the wild cats on the wasteland. You have 4 cats and 2 dogs some of the complexes don't allow animals so I have been told and some people won't rent to you if you have pets, you have to find a pet friendly landlord and complex. It has been known for people not to have there contact renewed if they have dogs barking all day when they go out and there has been many complaints from other residents. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats we have lived here for 10 years on the same mop lex and had no problems. Good Luck.

Re: Living in Tenerife with cats and dogs

Thanks very much for that information. :-)