Thread: Short term relocation - do's and don't - Advice greatly appreciated

Short term relocation - do's and don't - Advice greatly appreciated

Hi!

First of all - great forum. I spent a few days looking thru it. Very informative.

I understand that most of the initial posts can be somewhat redundant. I have tried to do my research in order to be somewhat prepared. ;-)

OK, we have a plan - I need you guys to help me find the holes in my planning.

Family of four, we are planning on a short term relocation to the island. Basically, we want to spend 12 months on Tenerife, in order to figure out if it's for us, in the longer term. Especially the island feel, climate and timezone were important factors to us. We have travelled extensively on the islands and mainland Spain. We read/understand some spanish, and are willing to upgrade that knowledge of course.

We do have some of the basics squared away.

- Citizenship, EU - all of us. Easy!

- Income, we have sufficient funds and will not be dependent on the local job market.

- Taxes, we are tax liable in our own country for this period of time (12 months) as income is generated in that country - so fairly simple setup

- Schools - we have found a good looking private run school that fits for the kids, (and the kids are excited), and a second runner-up in case of no space. We are visiting the schools in Nov - planned move is March '16...

- Logistics, we are planning on bringing a limited amount of personal belongings. We will be renting a furnished apartment or house for the first 30-60 days while looking for a 12 month long term rental. We want to live in the vicinity of PDLA or Los C, due to school distance and allround resort feel.

- We expect to rent a car in order to avoid the logistics of ownership. Where we come from cars are silly expensive, so I imagine our budget will facilitate something decent.

- We have spent extended periods of time outside our home country before, the kids are on board with the concept.

Now for the fuzzy areas...

- I understand that we need a Certificdo de Residencia as we are staying more than 3 months.

- I assume I will need an NIE if we want local cell phones and 4g routers and such? Or is a passport OK?

- Schools were not clear on paperwork requirements, i'll look into this more, but as they are "pay as you go" it should be ok.

Thoughts? What did I miss?

Cheers

Morgan

Re: Short term relocation - do's and don't - Advice greatly appreciated

Hello Stewart,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Yes, I sort of sort expected full NIE's to be required for us all - we'll find an advisor who can handle that.

Passports for cell/dongles makes it easier to get setup right away, so thats great.

Tax wise, its a bit more complicated as such due to the legislation in my home country but at the end of the day we do have a tax treaty with spain so if we need to double file, we'll do so. "Luckily" taxes are much higher in my home country so the base tax footprint will be the same.

Private medical insurance is a very good point. We do in fact have a reciprocal agreement with Spain, however untill our legal status has been determined (I assume paperwork is not instant - LOL) we will buy a third party health insurance. We have used Zurich before, who has some very nice coverage plans for people in "limbo" residency wise.

Again, appreciate the feedback.

Morgan