Thread: living in the rural south

living in the rural south

Hi guys we are looking at areas to live for when we retire to the island. We don't want to live in a resort but in a mixed ex-pat/Spanish small town/large village. It has to be not too far off the motorway between TFS and Adeje. So places like Las Chifiras, Buzzanada, Cabo Blanco, and Valle de San Lorenzo. Does anybody live in these areas, or know them well? Property seems better value here although I am worried it will be much colder than the coast on those more inland. I have only been to San Miguel once and it was freezing compared to the coast. Would like somewhere on a bus route, with a doctors, a few Spanish bars and restaurants and a bar I can watch English football occasionally. Any thoughts?

Rob

Super Tenerifian

Guia De Isora, Canarias, Spain, Spain

Re: living in the rural south

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Hi we will be buying. Its going to be a few years into the future but we want to use our trips to the island to plan where the places that best suit us are.
    Rob

I would not consider any of those areas as "rural", if you want that you need to look more inland and up. Yes the higher you get the colder it can be in winter but hotter in summer, as a general rule 1 degree C colder/hotter per 100m.
    Personally of the areas you mention Valle San Lorenzo would be my choice, but there are many others, including the North to consider.
    Richard & Theresa

Thanks for the info. I know these are not particularly rural but i couldn't think of another word. I basically want to be in the south but outside the resorts. I do wonder what the internet quality will be in these small towns as that is vital as we hope to be working from home.

I would imagine internet is pretty good in the areas you mentioned! I am temporarily in Las Chafiras whilst searching for a finca to purchase. The internet is fast and reliable here!

Finca's do not often have a fixed line so you may well struggle to get a good connection. We have a WiFI link that gives 10Mb, bu due to the type of link it is not continuous and drops in and out. If you need a very fast link/ reliable connection a rural property is probably not for you.
    Richard & Theresa