Thread: Parents and children...help!!!

Parents and children...help!!!

Hi every-one

I am a single mum to a six year old girl. She is on the waiting list for a place at Wingate. We are currently still in the UK. We have been to Tenerife many times but only as tourists. I travelled really extensively before becoming a mum, but it's all so different having to stay put in one place and make stable connections with a child.

Over the months researching and reading as much as I possibly can, I have found virtually no accounts of being an expat kid from children's perspective. I know this hard to find as younger kids have no forums like this, but with the help of parents we are hoping to get your views on what it was like trying to settle in and make friends?

We are not yet Spanish speakers, are there many English speaking family meet-ups outside school? My daughter will of course learn Spanish in school and I want to take Spanish classes, but I know it will be a very long time before my language skills will be up to actual friendship type conversation.

I have also noticed there is little info for single parents....are you out there guys? Have you found your experience particularly isolating at times? Are there any meet-ups for us?

I am planning to rent, and wonder where the greatest concentration of expat kids live? It would be so great to live in a neighbourhood with English speaking children about.

Can't wait to hear back from you

many thanks

Super Tenerifian

Guia De Isora, Canarias, Spain, Spain

Re: Parents and children...help!!!

How do you intend to support yourself and your child ? But having said that you are likely to get more advice from the many Facebook Groups that talk about Tenerife. The number of residents using this Forum are dwindling fast.
    Last edited by garlicbread; 16-07-2016 at 10:21. Reason: added to

Re: Parents and children...help!!!

Thanks for facebook tip...finacnce not an issue for me iI have a rental property in the uk