Thread: Residents, What food / drink / necessities are expensive compared to the UK?

Residents, What food / drink / necessities are expensive compared to the UK?

Hello!

I've seen a few mixed comments about the cost of living. I was wondering, what 'necessary' foodstuffs / drinks / household items do you find to be more expensive in Tenerife (in a normal supermarket, not a tourist shop) than in the UK?

And are there any other occasional purchases/treats which are surprisingly expensive?

Conversely, apart from alcohol/tobacco, what is much cheaper than in the UK?

Thanks!

Re: Residents, What food / drink / necessities are expensive compared to the UK?

Most of them ,but its very expensive to import them from the UK......

Re: Residents, What food / drink / necessities are expensive compared to the UK?

Could you give some examples?? What kinds of things have to be imported? I would have thought most stuff wkuld be produced fairly locally...?

Scotland/Tenerife

Tea Bags are more expensive !

Tenerifian

Playa de San Juan

We find food very cheap compared to the UK but most of the supermarkets do not stock many UK brands of course. A good example is cheese: most people buy Gouda or Edam for sandwiches and it is very cheap at around €4 per kilo. I noticed that Mercadona in Puerto Santiago started selling a prepacked Cheddar but I think it was about €3 for a 200g pack.
    Iceland is the main place to buy UK food it is very expensive compared to Spanish food and even on price marked packs, they use an exchange rate between €1.5 to €2 I think so that makes them even dearer.

Mercadona foodstuff is quite adequate and we do a weekly shop there, occasionally will go to Iceland but as mentioned UK food is expensive.

my wife used to take no end of stuff on holiday but now after a few years of stopping in apartments she can get every thing she needs from mercadona in fact she takes home stuff now especially brilliante paella rice best we have ever used and small tinned olives