Thread: Please help, need advice on selling a property in tenerife

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please help, need advice on selling a property in tenerife

Hi can anyone help me please. My grandma has a property in tenerife that she wishes to sell has she has been diagnosed with cancer. Her friend has recommended an estate agent to deal with this for her. But as she is unable to go he wants her to sign over power of attorney, is this normal? Shall I not get a lawyer to deal with this. I'm a little concerned as it's only a recommendation and we have not met him. Do you think this is safe or is there a better way to do it? We don't have much time unfortunately so would be very grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance

Re: Please help, need advice on selling a property in tenerife

It is not unusual to appoint power of attorney, once the property has been sold. And if the owner of the property cannot attend in person when the property exchanges at the Notary, it is essential.

It can be a lengthy process to appoint someone, if you are trying to do it from the UK. A lawyer would be safer, but expensive. I will send you a pm with a recommendation.

Thank you. He is asking for the power af attorney to be signed over before he does anything? Although there is all ready a buyer. Do you think she could possibly sign the poa over to a family member and he can deal with everything before hand then they could possibly fly over to attend the notary? Sorry but I am so clueless on how to handle this appreciate your reply ��

The POA must be in Spanish, and drawn up within Spanish rules, which are different to the UK. Someone would have to fly out to set one up, and then again when signing at the Notary.

pm sent.

Edit: I think you can arrange a POA at the Spanish embassy, but from what I am told not easy.
    Last edited by delderek; 02-08-2017 at 09:21.