Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello From Wirral

San Eugenio

Re: Hello From Wirral

Thanks for your offer.
    The gold ran our about 11 years ago when lots of beneficiaries emigrated. Left the area in poverty and loss of "posh" status

I grabbed the gold and skidadled mucho pronto...
    never look a gift horse in the proverbial.............

North Wales borders

Still get a good pint in the Halfway though.

Is the Dairy still on Swan Hill? A good pint there too!

San Eugenio

You do still get a great pint in the Halfway House. I go there to watch the footie and my wife Sue loves the beer garden to have a ciggie. The Swan co-op dairy has long gone before we moved here in 2000 but the Swan pub is now on the same site I believe but we don't frequent it. What is your history with the area warbey?

North Wales borders

Born Birkenhead, grew up in Barnston and wandered the Wirral extensively.

Used to be a Church Hall , maybe St Stephens? and held a dance there each Sat many years ago.

Used to come from Levers Causeway through via Oxton etc along the ridge to the North End and St James's Church.

I know pretty well the whole area.

Many happy times when wandering wasn't dangerous.

San Eugenio

St Stephens Church Hall in Prenton Lane is still there but no Saturday night dances any more.

I remember those happy times wandering. I lived in Eastham until my early teens and used to wander in the opposite direction, Hooton , Willaston, Ledsham, Neston and beyond. Working through the Summer hols on the farms.

Plenty of wandering, the only time we ever jumped a bus was for school 4 mile away and we never had a car ride like these days. As you say, less dangerous times back then (unless our perceptions have changed as crime is reported more and communicated through more widely available channels).

North Wales borders

I had school friends in Bebington and used to go to Birkenhead as an apprentice.
    Worked in Lairds for a short while and Rock ferry Tranmere through to Sunlight and Bromborough and as far as Rivacre were normal.
    I worked at Kelvinators for a couple of years too. Also had a motorbike or three, so visited Clatterbridge a few times to be put back together..

Although I rarely visit the area now I stil have fond memories, even of the back-ache picking spuds for Local Farmers.

Tenerife will allow two crops a year in that climate by the way.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12