Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Callao Salvaje
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 422 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question What broadband provider do you use in Tenerife & what speed do you get?

I often get asked what is the "best" broadband provider or what speed can you get in a given area, so I thought I would start a thread and make it a sticky where people can post their own preferences and reasons.

This would be helpful to someone moving into an area, so they can know what to expect.

Useful information would be Town/Village/Complex; ISP used; ADSL Upload/Download speed obtained; Any restrictions on usage; Approximate monthly cost and time taken from order to installation

If you dont want to post your location on open forum please PM me the info and I will create a table with the information in, without reference to members names.

Thanks
    Steph http://www.witzend-tenerife.biz
    THE LITTLE SHOP WITH LOTS TO OFFER IN CALLAO SALVAJE
    PC Support, New Systems, Spares & Repairs; Home/Office Visits
    Computer Lessons; Internet Access; International Phone; DVD Rentals; Fax; Photocopy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TenerifeTeddy For This Useful Post:

balababe (18-07-2011)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    These ads will disappear once you have REGISTERED and made 10 posts in our friendly community :)

On a Volcano
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 889 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is via Direct Telecom. I am supposed to get 3mb but very rarely even get 1mb due to the fact that I live in El Roque up in the hills. To be honest it really is not a problem, most of the time I am on the PC and my son and daughter are both on their laptops. If my son is not on his laptop he is on X Box Live so all using the internet. They did upgrade it to 6 mb but had to revert back to 3 because my internet kept losing the signal due to it being so weak. The only time we have any problems with the speed is if some bright spark decides to download a film, this has now been banned until we go to bed so it can download overnight lol.
    I pay 39.50 per month to DT excluding my adsl line rental which is via Telefonica and that includes free local calls and 500 minutes free to the UK per month. Service is normally pretty good and as long as you have an adsl line then they set everything up quickly, and if you haven't they will liase with Telephonica for you to get the line sorted.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jackie For This Useful Post:

balababe (18-07-2011), doreen (30-06-2011), princessmonika (30-06-2011), TenerifeTeddy (29-06-2011)

El Rincon De Puh
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine's actually with BT Broadband. I'm on "up to 20 Mb", which in Tenerife means "up to 8Mb"... I usually get about 7 Mb here in Santa Śrsula in the North.
    Cost is about €43 (€33 first 6 months), plus line rental which also is with them. (Or rather their Spanish reseller, Fortec.) No connection charge.
    Then I also get 2000 minutes of national calls, 400 Minutes to anywhere in the EU (including UK), and English-speaking support for it all.
    It's also possible to get a UK number, so people in the UK can call you on a national number.
    I can't say much about reliability and such, since I haven't had it for long... and it took almost 3 weeks to get, mainly due to a mistake by the local agent here when placing the order, and some communication issues about it actually being connected at the end. Without those, it would have taken 10 days, about.
    Having Very Little Brain

TVinTenerife.com - See UK Web-TV from anywhere!

Use the discount code TFVPN2013 to get a 15% discount on any order!

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pooh For This Useful Post:

balababe (18-07-2011), doreen (30-06-2011), life is short (18-07-2011), Suej (30-06-2011), TenerifeTeddy (29-06-2011)

Super Tenerifian

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is broadband sooo expensive in Tenerife?

Here in the UK we pay £7.50 a month for unlimited broadband, no idea the speed but it's fairly fast.

Penelope pitstop

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penelope pitstop For This Useful Post:

life is short (18-07-2011), TenerifeTeddy (18-07-2011)

On a Volcano
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 889 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Mine's actually with BT Broadband. I'm on "up to 20 Mb", which in Tenerife means "up to 8Mb"... I usually get about 7 Mb here in Santa Śrsula in the North.
    Cost is about €43 (€33 first 6 months), plus line rental which also is with them. (Or rather their Spanish reseller, Fortec.) No connection charge.
    Then I also get 2000 minutes of national calls, 400 Minutes to anywhere in the EU (including UK), and English-speaking support for it all.
    It's also possible to get a UK number, so people in the UK can call you on a national number.
    I can't say much about reliability and such, since I haven't had it for long... and it took almost 3 weeks to get, mainly due to a mistake by the local agent here when placing the order, and some communication issues about it actually being connected at the end. Without those, it would have taken 10 days, about.
    Forgot all about that, I have one of those with DT as well

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackie For This Useful Post:

El Rincon De Puh
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by penelope pitstop View Post
    Why is broadband sooo expensive in Tenerife?

Here in the UK we pay £7.50 a month for unlimited broadband, no idea the speed but it's fairly fast.

Penelope pitstop
    Not strange at all, considering they have to put in a cable equal to half an Atlantic cable, just to get internet here... and not many users to share the cost.
    It's still half of what I had to pay for the same speed in Cyprus... But twice of what I paid for a 100Mb fibre in Sweden.
    Having Very Little Brain

TVinTenerife.com - See UK Web-TV from anywhere!

Use the discount code TFVPN2013 to get a 15% discount on any order!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pooh For This Useful Post:

TenerifeTeddy (18-07-2011)

Here and There
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What Broadband Provider Do You Use in Tenerife & What Speed Do You Get?

I would be very interested to know what people have experienced with the broadband provider they have chosen.

We are planning on moving out to Tenerife early next year and one of our main priorities will be who can provide the best internet service in the south of the island, probably in or around Los Cristianos.

Thanks to Pooh and Jackie for their contribution to this and hope TenerifeTeddy can get a few more responses to the original post.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to life is short For This Useful Post:

TenerifeTeddy (18-07-2011)

In the doghouse
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,625 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd replied to this thread already, must have been on Mk.1.

I have paid for 3 with Direct Telecom for a couple of years and only ever had one (Telefonica blocking)

I still pay for 3 but actually get 6-7 since they had to open up.

I'd recommend DT to anyone, especially if your Spanish is limited. After care is second to none.

Technician available 24/7 on the phone and the couple of probs I have had, especially after the storms last year, were fixed over the phone in minutes

(Personal opinion. Nothing to do with my mod status)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slodgedad For This Useful Post:

balababe (18-07-2011), life is short (18-07-2011), TenerifeTeddy (18-07-2011)

Bala and Torviscas Alto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Torviscas Alto and have been with Telefonica, now Movistar, since I moved there five years ago. It seems expensive, but has always been reliable, although not particularly fast. However, it is faster than my internet in the depths of Wales! I have heard varied reports about Direct Telecom, so I am wary about changing, but I am happy to be convinced. Interested to hear about BT - any more info would be welcome.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to balababe For This Useful Post:

In the doghouse
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,625 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Since the storms last year my connection with DT has never dropped below 6, and is normally between 6.3 and 6.7.

Who do I write to for my commission?

Seriously though. I'm happy. They do have some new deals too which, as usual for any company, are for new members only, but having said that I'm more than happy with my service.

Imagine modding this mad house with a crap connection....?...

I hope they read this....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slodgedad For This Useful Post:

balababe (19-07-2011), TenerifeTeddy (18-07-2011)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast