Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenerife Forum Southampton Football Club discussion thread

Wickham, Hampshire.

Arrow Tenerife Forum Southampton Football Club discussion thread

Hi Just getting the ball rolling ready for the new season...
    Pardon me my ear is full of milk
    "Well, if we caught...the money...and gave it to the fish...anybody we sold it to wouldn't have to pay for it"

Wickham, Hampshire.
    SAINTS have been seeded for the first round draw of the Carling Cup.

Nigel Adkins' men, who are in the hat for the southern section, will find out on Thursday morning who they will play.

The fixtures will take place in the first week of the new season.

Saints will be drawn against one of the unseeded teams in the southern section.

This season's Carling Cup will feature a preliminary round for the first time since 2002/03, following Birmingham's relegation to the Championship.

With the holders being seeded through to round three, courtesy of their participation in the Europa League, the competition requires one less club in the first round draw.

That means the two lowest-placed clubs in the league system last season, Crawley Town and AFC Wimbledon, will play each other on Friday, July 29, for the right to get into the first round.
    "Well, if we caught...the money...and gave it to the fish...anybody we sold it to wouldn't have to pay for it"

Wickham, Hampshire.
    SAINTS Fixtures 2011-2012
    August

• 6 Leeds (H)
    • 13 Barnsley (A)
    • 16 Ipswich (A)
    • 20 Millwall (H)
    • 27 Leicester (A)
    September

• 10 Nottm Forest (H)
    • 17 Birmingham (H)
    • 24 Burnley (A)
    • 27 Cardiff (A)
    October

• 1 Watford (H)
    • 15 Derby (A)
    • 18 West Ham (H)
    • 22 Reading (A)
    • 29 Middlesbrough (H)
    November

• 1 Peterborough (H)
    • 5 Coventry (A)
    • 19 Brighton (H)
    • 26 Bristol City (A)
    • 29 Hull (H)
    December

• 3 Doncaster (A)
    • 10 Blackpool (H)
    • 17 Portsmouth (A)
    • 26 Crystal Palace (H)
    • 31 Bristol City (H)
    January

• 2 Brighton (A)
    • 14 Nottm Forest (A)
    • 21 Leicester (H)
    • 31 Cardiff (H)
    February

• 4 Birmingham (A)
    • 11 Burnley (H)
    • 14 West Ham (A)
    • 18 Derby (H) 2
    • 5 Watford (A)
    March

• 3 Leeds (A)
    • 6 Ipswich (H)
    • 10 Barnsley (H)
    • 17 Millwall (A)
    • 20 Hull (A)
    • 24 Doncaster (H)
    • 31 Blackpool (A)
    April

• 7 Portsmouth (H)
    • 9 Crystal Palace (A)
    •14 Reading (H)
    • 17 Peterborough (A)
    • 21 Middlesbrough (A)
    • 28 Coventry (H)

Wickham, Hampshire.
    SAINTS defender Aaron Martin has joined Rickie Lambert in signing a new three-year contract at St Mary's.

The 21-year-old has put pen to paper on a deal that should keep him with the club until 2014.

Martin made ten first-team appearances for Saints last season.

His contract was due to expire in the summer, but a clause was triggered that automatically extended his deal until 2012.

But Saints have now moved to tie the former Eastleigh centre half to a long-term contract.

Wickham, Hampshire.

Saints 3-3 FC Biel-Bienne

A late equaliser from Alex Chamberlain gave Saints a 3-3 draw in Switzerland against FC Biel-Bienne in their first pre-season friendly tonight.

Saints had led their Swiss second tier hosts 2-0 after 16 minutes, only for Biel-Bienne to stage an impressive recovery.

Saints took the lead after nine minutes when David Connolly was on hand to head in a Lee Holmes cross.

An exact replica – the striker heading in a cross from the winger – saw Nigel Adkins’ men extend their lead six minutes later.

The hosts replied midway through the first half when a shot from Marco Mathys was deflected past Bart Bialkowski.

Kaua Safari levelled five minutes into the second half, and the same player completed the comeback when he put Biel-Bienne ahead with nine minutes remaining.

But Chamberlain, one of the half-time substitutes as Adkins completely changed his side around, had the final say.

Wickham, Hampshire.
    SAINTS have today signed Belgian winger Steve De Ridder.

The 24-year-old has put pen to paper on a three-year contract at St Mary's, though the transfer fee has not yet been revealed.

De Ridder moves from Dutch Eredivisie side De Graafschap, where he has scored 12 goals in 93 league games.

He is primarily a right winger, but can also play on the left side and as a striker.

Wickham, Hampshire.
    Saints ended their pre-season preparations with a 2-2 draw at Yeovil.

Nigel Adkins’ men twice took the lead at Huish Park but were pegged back on both occasions and now have one week to go to get themselves fully ready for the big Championship kick-off against Leeds.

David Connolly gave Saints the lead just before half time before former Saint Paul Wotton equalised from the penalty spot on 62 minutes after a foul on Paul Huntington by Jose Fonte.

Jonathan Forte burst through the middle and produced an excellent finish to give Saints the lead again on 67 minutes but it lasted just four minutes before Andy Williams’ deft header made it honours even.

Alex Chamberlain was not in the squad due to the injury he sustained against West Brom.

Yeovil: Steer, Ayling (Gibson 87), Huntington, N’Gala, Ehmer, Jones (Edgar 61), Wotton, Upson, G Williams (A Williams 61), McLean (Fallon 61), Agard (Curtis 61).

Saints: Davis, Butterfield (Richardson 79), Fonte (Martin 79), Seaborne (Jaidi 63), Harding, Do Prado, Schneiderlin, Cork (Chaplow 63), Lallana (De Ridder 63), Connolly (Forte 45), Lambert. Att: 2018.

Wickham, Hampshire.
    Half time.....Saints 2 Leeds 0

Added after 55 minutes:

Full time Saints 3 Leeds 1..........COYR
    Last edited by Ed3229; 06-08-2011 at 19:18. Reason: merged double posts

Wickham, Hampshire.
    SAINTS continued their perfect start to the season as they secured a 1-0 victory at Barnsley.

Nigel Adkins’ men made it a club record four away wins in a row as David Connolly’s first half goal bagged a third victory of the new campaign which rarely looked in any doubt.

Saints were totally dominant with the only sour note being a three game ban for sub Richard Chaplow who was shown a straight red card late on and which led to his team having to desperately hang on and come perilously close to losing the three points they had thoroughly earned.

Good win saints.....

Wickham, Hampshire.
    Good win for the Saints today.........Pompey 0-0

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast