Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why did you choose Tenerife and not Gran Canaria?

El Hierro

Re: Why did you choose Tenerife and not Gran Canaria?

I First arrived in Las Palmas de G.C. in the spring of 1962, yes 1962. I arrived on a Shell oil tanker, from Trinidad. The little I saw of Gran Canaria must have impressed me for I returned many times and still do.

Gran Canaria would have been my first choice of a place to retire, I think Las Palmas de G.C. is a fantastic city, great beach, nice promenade, fantastic restaurants, good bars and cheap, fantastic people and the best climate in the world. Whats more you don't need a car, the bus service is excellent.

However whilst on holiday in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, on La Palma, the pretty isle, in the spring of 1995, we noticed a dark shape out to sea due south, I was sent to question the locals nearby,what was that island on the horizon, It was and still is The Meridian Isle of El Hierro.

In the Autumn of 1995 we arrived on a rickety old ferry at 11.30 at night, our hire car was waiting and we made our way to the Apartments at El Tamaduste, a 14 year old youth greeted us, and showed us our apartments. The village bar was shut.

The next day dawned and our exploration of the island began, we soon realised we were somewhere different, no high rise towers, no bisto gravy Yorkshire pudding full english breakfast establishments, in fact no U.K. tourists at all. The tranquility and scenic splendour oozed every where. The incredible friendliness of the local populace was a huge surprise. The tourist boom on the other islands passed by El Hierro, the Herreños have retained their unique Canarian culture and charm.

Well that was many years ago and I now have been resident here on the island for over 10 years, but twice a year we take a 45 minute flight to Las Palmas de G.C. to stock up on tea bags and socks.

Hepa, El Hierro, in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Originally from London but now between Essex and Los Cristianos

Been on Tenerife for over 27 years, it seem to have the magic. Visited some of the other island including GC and they are all fine, but I just prefer Tenerife. Its not perfect but where is?
    Popping over to Cape Verde Islands in Feb so that should be interesting.

Went to Lanzarote before Christmas.

Won't be back.

It's just not Tenerife. Also the wind was awful, spoilt some lovely sunshiney days.

I have lived in both Tenerife and Gran Canaria and both have their advantages and disadvantages.It deoends if , IMO, you want to stay in an area which is fairly bilingual e.g Los Christianos compared to , say, Santiago del Teide .If you are willing to fully integrate into the community, learn and practice Spanish, watch Spanish Tv etc ,talk to native speakers of Spanish etc, then living in a less touristy area may change your original opinion of either island.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234